Our Spiritual Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeOSH PortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Chat Room

What do we think the main purpose of religion is

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cauldron
Master
Master
Cauldron

What do we think the main purpose of religion is Empty
PostSubject: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyMon 8 Feb 2010 - 15:13

I would arague that the main reason for any religion, whether that be Christianity or Wicca or Buddhism, is to try and become closer to the Divine. To forge a relationship with God, or the Universe or Divine what ever our vision of that is.
I also think that we often forget this and get too caught up in the thrills and bells that all religion has.
I feel that if we could all remember that we all basically want the same thing, then we could all become a little closer what ever our faith is.
Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Libertas
Lightworker
Lightworker
Libertas

Your Country : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyMon 8 Feb 2010 - 15:16

I think it's a comfort to people. It helps get through tough times and can give you a feeling of peace.
Back to top Go down
crimsonwind
Spiritual
Spiritual
crimsonwind

Your Country : United States

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyMon 8 Feb 2010 - 17:38

I believe Religion as a sort of anchor. A standard of social moires that we require of our collective humanity. All of the great religions of the world espouse a basic concept of harm none, do not bring harm to your fellow man, do not steal, do not covet... I understand also why there'll be wars in the name of God... which is an affront to the divine that watches over us all.. Humanity has the potential for brilliance and greatness, but we are also dark and un compromising... collectively at times. Generations have lost their humanity in Africa... a continent is in flames some 260 on. The Persian gulf has never known peace! Dictators and authoritarian leaders still govern by religious concepts that keep the women of their cultures- enslaved...I think the rules, religions- if you will, are the guide posts humanity needs to stick close to, in order to live the brilliance the divine has placed within our reach. I also believe religion has the ability to tarnish and corrupt anything that is good and right... Religion defines OR reduces our humanity. It's all about choice and free will... choose wisely. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Back to top Go down
crimsonwind
Spiritual
Spiritual
crimsonwind

Your Country : United States

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyThu 11 Feb 2010 - 1:24

Bump
Back to top Go down
Shadowfox
Believer
Believer
Shadowfox

Your Country : Canada

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyThu 17 Jun 2010 - 0:51

Religion, through out history has been a form of control over the vast majority of the population. That is why i have a problem with organized religion today, it is about money not spirituality. Sure for some people it is a spiritual experience, but from what i have seen, it is few and far between.

This is the main reason i started searching for a more spiritual path, so i could learn what it is to love my fellow man, and all of creation. For a religion to claim their laws such as love your fellow man, do onto others, etc. then start wars. killings. and mass persecution, to me is not a good thing. And as i said at the beginning of my post is not but control.
Back to top Go down
Bobbieboy
Seeker
Seeker
Bobbieboy

Your Country : New Zealand

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is EmptyMon 13 Sep 2010 - 8:14

I think the main purpose of religion is to bring you to your true inner SELF, we are not the mind body organism, we are pure Being, pure Consciousness. When this is discovered from within, it is called Enlightenment or Awakening, if no religion brings you or points you to your true SELF, to me its not a true Religion. sunny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do we think the main purpose of religion is   What do we think the main purpose of religion is Empty

Back to top Go down

What do we think the main purpose of religion is
Page 1 of 1