Our Spiritual Home
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeOSH PortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Chat Room

Spamming via PM

Go down 
+4
the hermit
Lynn
twinks
Helen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Your Country : Wales

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 16:47

Could I draw everyones attention to the rules regarding advertising via PM system - this is not acceptable at OSH - and is considered quite rude amongst sites, we have had to bring this up not so long ago and it seems that at least one member failed to see or decided to ignore this.

I have had reports from 2 members today about a PM to join another site - I would urge anyone getting this style of PM NOT TO JOIN OR CLICK - as it may be a link to a virus.

There are ways to advertise here, in your signature (if the site is your own or you are heavily involved in the running) and once you have reached 20 posts you can place a thread in the Our Links section. I think this is more than fair.

I am now in a position where I need to decide whether to put a post restriction on members using the PM system, it is something that I have not had to think about in the past - what do other members think on this? I am thinking a minimum of 5 posts before you are allowed PM privilages - and seeing if this stops the problem.

I apologise to those that have recieved this PM, and would encourage you to send me a PM to let me know of this message - or - of any in the future.

I just wanted to let you know that I am aware and I am dealing with this the best I can.

Many Thanks

Helenx
Back to top Go down
twinks
Enlightened
Enlightened
twinks

Your Country : United Kingdom

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 17:00

ooops i clicked
Spamming via PM 210306
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 17:06

No problem, in this case it is a valid site - however, I cannot guarantee the that the link will be ok - as I have no access to your PM - and strangley didnt receive this one?? seems they knew it is at least frowned upon..

Please, if it happens again DO NOT CLICK - but send it to me so I can deal with it.

Love and light

xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Lynn
Mage
Mage
Lynn

Your Country : Canada

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 17:10

Hello

OMG that is WRONG on WRONG. WE had this happen ONCE before here on OSH and YES it will not be tollorated. We "BANISHED" that member.

I was Admin on a site and it came to the POINT where WE had to have FULL ONE ACCESS to PM to be able to GO in an read them at times if need be. That is SO not what happens here on OSH nor do we want ti to come to that here.

Just like we DO NOT in any way "bash" other sites. A lot of hours and hard work goes into not only makeing a site but running it.

Lynn
Back to top Go down

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 17:20

I think a min. of 10 posts is sufficient - that way it's not just a 'spam' type post or anything that really isn't much of a contribution. It may just help 'identify' any 'potentials' easier.
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 20:49

Thank you - it looks like that may be the only way, dont really want to go that way....

it seems that the "member" sent 23 PM's out. I have been in contact with the owner of the board involved and she is horrified by this - but they are no longer a member there either - so she know not why??!!??

this member will be banished via username and email.

Thank you all for your support
Back to top Go down

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 20:57

That's odd...

At least the matter's taken care of. Wink
Back to top Go down
the hermit
Lightworker
Lightworker

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 23:48

Helen wrote:
Could I draw everyones attention to the rules regarding advertising via PM system - this is not acceptable at OSH - and is considered quite rude amongst sites, we have had to bring this up not so long ago and it seems that at least one member failed to see or decided to ignore this.

I have had reports from 2 members today about a PM to join another site - I would urge anyone getting this style of PM NOT TO JOIN OR CLICK - as it may be a link to a virus.

There are ways to advertise here, in your signature (if the site is your own or you are heavily involved in the running) and once you have reached 20 posts you can place a thread in the Our Links section. I think this is more than fair.

I am now in a position where I need to decide whether to put a post restriction on members using the PM system, it is something that I have not had to think about in the past - what do other members think on this? I am thinking a minimum of 5 posts before you are allowed PM privilages - and seeing if this stops the problem.

I apologise to those that have recieved this PM, and would encourage you to send me a PM to let me know of this message - or - of any in the future.

I just wanted to let you know that I am aware and I am dealing with this the best I can.

Many Thanks

Helenx

I know that I am a new one on site
However, I think 20 posts for extra's
Readings and the PM system

hermie
Back to top Go down

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySat 23 Oct 2010 - 23:55

Yeah...I got to agree with Hermie on that. 20 isn't such a bad number...not too high or low.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Lightworker
Lightworker
Sparrow

Your Country : United States

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 0:27

I agree partially, what if a new member with only a few posts, wants to PM someone on here with a question and can't. Its happened to me on other sites and I didn't know what to do so I stopped going to the forum. Plus what if its a member one of us is friends with and they want to PM one of us and can't until they reach a certain amount of posts. Tho I do understand why it needs to be done and all.
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 0:30

thanks both

it is min 20 posts to have a link in our link section, has been since day one..

its looking like I am gonna have to impliment this - anyone else think minimum 20 posts before you can use PM is too much/little/just right?
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 0:35

Elfay wrote:
I agree partially, what if a new member with only a few posts, wants to PM someone on here with a question and can't. Its happened to me on other sites and I didn't know what to do so I stopped going to the forum. Plus what if its a member one of us is friends with and they want to PM one of us and can't until they reach a certain amount of posts. Tho I do understand why it needs to be done and all.

This is a concern to me, it is not that hard to get 20 posts here tho, but I wouldnt want 20 rubbish posts just to get PM rights, maybe we could start at min 10 post - enough to know they are not full on spammer, but easy enough goal to get to - IF - we need to address this again maybe it will be increased.

If a new member needs to contact us they can either post it - leave a note in your corner, or even use the contact button which would get a message to me.

Any more thoughts?
Back to top Go down

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 0:51

Sounds like a good 'happy medium' to start with and then...if any more problems bring it up to 20. I hadn't thought about the issue Elfay mentioned...because I never found myself in that position before.
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 1:23

I have amended the rules to reflect that you must post 10 posts to be able to use the PM system.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Lightworker
Lightworker
Sparrow

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 1:51

10 is a good number. It should deter spammers.
Back to top Go down
Willow
Novice
Novice
Willow

Your Country : Australia

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 7:08

I also received a pm for the other site, and i did click on it also.....didn't even consider it maybe a viral link......my stupid.......
Back to top Go down
pluralone
Mage
Mage
pluralone

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 17:52

Oh Willow, I love your signature!!!

Coming late to the discussion, but for what it's worth I think a minimum of 20 posts is not at all excessive; I've encountered this at other sites, and sometimes the number is even higher. Those who come here to be with friends must have other ways to contact them and let them know they've registered here, and I think that new members who need personal attention can usually find someone in chat.

But I agree -- a ten post minimum should be sufficient, and if it turns out it's not, the number can always be changed.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Lightworker
Lightworker
Sparrow

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptySun 24 Oct 2010 - 19:12

Plurs right and I forgot about chat! And like Helen said it won't take long to get to 10 posts. If this stops Spammers it needs to be done. I got the same PM but did not click on it but have gotten links from those I don't know on other sites to go to their forum and did click on it and joined their forum but thinking about it it was wrong of them to solicited me this way. btw the forum I did join did not have a virus but the forum was VERY viral! Quite toxic and I think I was banned from there because I mentioned I wasn't comfortable going there to someone not on that forum. But I did say it may have been me and not the place. I still got banned from the solicited place. Karma lol
Back to top Go down
the hermit
Lightworker
Lightworker

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptyMon 6 Dec 2010 - 10:15

Such are the ways of life Elfay

Now forget your bitterness
Forget the way things have gone
And remember to move forward
You have been banned, now let it go
Step away from the problem
And contunue you life

hermie
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Lightworker
Lightworker
Sparrow

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptyMon 6 Dec 2010 - 13:44

Lol the hermit !! I did move on just mentioning what happened to me in passing. Thanks tho for reminding me.
Back to top Go down
Skye
Seeker
Seeker

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptyMon 6 Dec 2010 - 17:44

Hi Helen

I'm with others here and consider 20 posts to be sufficient, however is there anyway the 20 wouldn't include 'welcome to the site' posts?

I have seen people simply post on that kind of forum to reach the alloted number just so they can request free readings etc. I will add I have not noticed this on this site. So, perhaps for those who wish to spam etc they could do the same.

Only expressing my thoughts, i'm not knocking this site.
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder
Helen

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM EmptyMon 6 Dec 2010 - 18:17

Thank you Skye

we know your not knocking this site hun, I think for now we can all keep an eye on the welcome forum and make sure this doesnt happen - I will look into if I can disable post count or not, good idea!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spamming via PM Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spamming via PM   Spamming via PM Empty

Back to top Go down

Spamming via PM
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Spiritual Home :: Welcome :: Comments & Announcements-
Jump to: